Friday, September 7, 2012

Breast Milk Pumping Shocks and Myths

When I first tried pumping I was shocked how painful it was. I was just wondering how anyone can do it. But it ended that it was all matter of skill and experience. Buying a pump was another shocker as reviews on Toys R Us website proven to me being wrong.

So here is what I learned over time:

Manual Pump is Faster

Manual breast pump is two times faster than electrical one. This is because electrical works according to preset speed and manual you can pump as fast as you want. If you care for speed, go for manual. Your hand may be a bit tired first few times, but trust me after a few such exercises you won't even feel you worked.

Expensive Pump Does Not Mean Better

You go to the store and see Medela electric pump set selling for $400 and wonder what exactly it can do to you for that much money? Right on the same shelf you see First Years Breastflow for $50. First Years worked for me just fine. I liked how simple the inside mechanism was and milk did not get wasted in cracks and being trapped between many parts. I have Phillips Avent manual pump which costed the same as First Years electric and it was no better at all. In fact it hurt as hell first few times until I figured to press on the handle only half way through. Milk came out fine but because the suction was not as strong it didn't hurt. Read manuals carefully - they explain ways of dealing with pain. But interestingly cheap First Years did not cause any pain. It has a wider opening around the nipple and suction is very gentle.
Other problems with expensive Avent pump were:

- Bottle part fell off during pumping. The way they designed the screwing mechanism for holding the bottle just wasn't good enough to hold it in the air. While I pumped for 10-15 minutes the bottle would quietly unscrew and fall. Imagine all the frustration over spitting all the milk!

- Pump falls toward when placed on the table. This is another serious design defect with this pump. If you put it on the table the whole thing will fall towards because the pumping part is heavier than the bottle underneath it. Basically you can't leave the pump standing, you have to separate the bottle right away. Not convenient. Very often you are not in position to just run towards the fridge. Or you may want to keep pumping later - you can't with Avent.

I Keep Pumping and Milk is Not Coming

This was another shocker in the beginning. I didn't know that you need to pump for a few minutes in vain until milk starts coming. It makes sense - otherwise your breasts would be leaking if you are not pumping. So be patient. Also once milk stopped coming it does not mean that's all. There is normally a second let down. Again keep pumping and you will see after a few suctions a second portion will appear.

There is Less Milk in the Evening

It is true there is less milk in the evening and your baby may ask to eat more frequently towards late afternoon. But milk is more concentrated. It makes sense as more concentrated milk will keep babies going for longer without flushing into a diaper to make them sleep comfortably at night.

You Can't Mix Milk From Different Pump Sessions

Whoever said this is wrong. I mix milk all the time. As I pump during the day I will be adding new milk to the one in the fridge. Towards end of day I will have one full bottle. It is unimaginable to have 4 bottles 1 oz each. One tip - make sure to shake the bottle after you added newly pumped milk. It will blend with cold one making it more uniform. My baby never complained.




2 comments: