Tuesday, September 25, 2012

How Much Milk a 3 Month Should Eat in a Day

Right now my son is 3.5 months old. Up until last few weeks he has been eating my breast milk exclusively. He was gaining weight and grew long - all according to the textbook. But suddenly, at exactly 3 months I started noticing that he wanted to eat more frequently - every 2, 1.5 hours instead of usual 3. He was getting more nervous and just looking unhappy soon after meals. I didn't think twice and offered my baby a formula substitute after each breastfeeding session. And what a difference! He was happy right a way and ever since even sleeps 8-9 hours at night.
I don't have any less milk than before and went through every single suggestion trying to increase milk supply. I tried:
- pumping after each feeding session and in between
- fenugreek pills
- domperidone pills
- nursing tea
- drinking more water

Nothing helped me. My milk supply remained the same. If I waited for 3 hours I would get 3-4 oz of milk depending on what time of day it is. During evening I got less milk and in the morning I had the most. But as it turned out, my boy needs at least 7 oz per feeding.

I went to forums and asked other moms of 3 month old how much he eats. It turned out that my boy was not even the hungriest one. While on average 3 months old boy would eat 6 oz, it was not unusual to see some babies eating 8-9 oz.

According to doctor recommendation baby should eat amount of milk according to this mathematical calculation: Baby weight, pounds x 2.5 = oz per day.
So for example, your baby is 10 pounds, he should eat at least 25 oz a day. My boy is now 12 pounds and he wants to eat 7 oz x 6 times a day = 42 oz, which is 12 oz more than recommended. Ends up calculation is a myth!

I was reluctant to feed him formula and was turning into what some people would call "breastfeeding nazi" starving my boy for the sake of organic food. Eventually common sense took over. We are not in a third world - baby does not need to suffer from hunger. If you have lots of milk, consider yourself lucky. Not only you will save $300 - this is what I spend on 3 months supply of formula until my boy will start eating solids. You will also feed your baby fully organic, fresh meal. But I had no choice.

3 comments:

  1. great work done i think many of the new parents can't know these things they must read your blog it will really help them thanks a lot
    with regards physioheal.com

    ReplyDelete